The Use of Technology in the Manitowok and Scotsman Ice Machines
Imagine yourself on a hot afternoon, craving for a cool drink, but not having any ice to put into it. This is what life would be like if we lived before the development of modern refrigeration systems.
Ice is something we often take for granted, but there are people who don’t just think of ice the way we do. They spend many hours a day, perfecting and enhancing the way ice making machines perform in order to give people only the purest and best ice that can possibly be produced. For this reason, they combine the word of technology and the world of ice manufacturing, and design a range of incredibly complex machines that have made our lives immensely more enjoyable.
Two companies that are committed to only manufacturing the highest quality ice are the Manitowok and Scotsman ice machine manufacturers. They are two of the oldest companies in the ice maker business, but their names have signaled reliability over the years. We all know that they produce great quality machines, but what were the recent additions to these ice makers? How has their technology improved since these companies first introduced their machines to the world? WE are about to find out.
The Manitowok Machines
This company was founded in 1902 by Charles West and Elias Gunnell, and was named after a city in the state of Wisconsin called Manitowok. Manitowok only concentrated on the ship building and construction industry up until the end of the second world war, during which time they broadened their scope and expended into the world of refrigeration and ice manufacturing. Since that time, they have gained popularity as one of the leading ice machine manufacturers, and for good reason.
Here’s a few things that have made this brand popular:
- Their ‘Intelligent Diagnostics’ feature makes maintenance a breeze as you wait for the machine to tell you when it needs a little extra care. This means that the machines are fully automated and need no extra supervision allowing you to step back and relax as you let the machine do all the work for you.
- Their machines have an ‘ Easy Read Display’ which makes it extremely user friendly. These machines can be programmed to produce ice according to your personalized needs.
- Many of their machines are Energy Star qualified, which means that you save on your energy bills and operating costs, while leaving less of a carbon footprint at the same time.
- They advertise their Indigo Series machines as ‘the easiest to clean’ ice making machine. This is because the components that need to be changed or clean are very easy to access and because of their DuraTech Exteriors. The Active Clean feature also enables automatic cleaning at the push of a button.
- QuietQube Series takes away the noise element from the refrigeration process which means that you won’t be disturbed by the sound of churning ice. This is a feature that can be found only in Manitowok ice machines.
- The ‘Ice Assurance’ feature ensures that you only get the best quality ice, by constantly monitoring the thickness of the ice to get consistent results.
- Only the highest level of sanitation is offered by this company that uses AlphaSan (Silver ion technology), to ensure that bacteria and slime are kept away from the plastic components of their machines. This also means that the components last longer, and that you are only getting the cleanest, purest ice.
- Manitowoc ice makers come long warranties that cover machine parts for three years, compressors for five years and labor for two years from the date of purchase. They are also known for the great service and support they offer all their customers.
Scotsman Ice Makers
This is also a company with a lot of history in the ice making business, because it has been around from the year 1921.Since then, a series of amalgamations have only made them stronger, and they have become one of the most internationally recognizable names in the industry with sales in over one hundred countries.
Here are some features that make the Scotsman machines popular:
- The Scotsman Prodigy series has truly revolutionized the ice machine industry. They have really raised the benchmark by offering benefits no other brand can match.
- Scotsman has patented a WaterSense cleaning system which purges the machine of any buildup of foreign material, which in turn allows there to be a greater time gap till the next cleaning needs to be scheduled.
- The ultrasonic sensor which enables Scotsman to present its Vari-Smart feature,which allows you to program your ice needs even 7 days in advance.
- The AutoAlert system allows you to know when your machine needs maintenance or cleaning.
- Yet another trouble shooting method is their ‘Smart-Board’ system that will warn you if there are any foreseeable operational complications, which will help you eliminate problems before costly repairs are called for.
- All the machines that use air cooling are Energy Star qualified, so they save you quite a few dollars while you are getting only the best, high quality ice.
And there you have it. These machines are simply engineering marvels, and they will only continue to improve if trends are followed by these two companies. These companies have sold millions of machines over the past few decades, and continue to be the superpowers in the ice producing industry. From the smallest portable machines to the largest industrial machines, they each put a personal touch to them, by incorporating their company specific features into each and every one of these ice making marvels.
As technology advances, we know for sure the ice machine industry will follow suit. Scotsman and Manitowok are brand names that will live on because they constantly strive to be better with the aid of research and technology. These are two vastly different companies, but their end goal is the same: to get high quality ice to as many satisfied customers as possible.